View Single Post
Old 01-18-2021, 03:40 PM   #76
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
It'll be VERY little louder than your Hemi plus no more exhaust smell than your Hemi, but the fuel smell is still strong. Those that delete & chip their diesels will smoke & smell, but the newer models haven't had smelly exhaust or belched black smoke for well over a decade.
The biggest advantage to towing big RVs with a diesel is you can pull in & fuel up in the truck lanes & not have to put up with the idiots in their tiny little cars parking in your way at the gas islands, even the rv islands.
Diesels have come a long way since I retired 14 years ago I know. The fuel still stinks and I don't like the exhaust smell although it is light years better than it used to be. Black smoke used to be very irritating but like you point out that is pretty much gone. The fuel is still greasy and stinky because it's always poured all over the drives in stations and then I track it in my truck unless I'm extremely careful.

The part in red is one of the primary reasons I might think of switching to a diesel; I've just about had it waiting for some clueless individual to finish putting on makeup or feed the family while I'm sitting behind them congesting the flow of traffic. THAT would be so much nicer. On the other hand, I'm not inclined to jump in the truck and make a 100 mile run every week so it can "regen" - won't happen so there's that. Still, the next time I sit behind a vehicle as I wait for the 7th person to come out of the Love's store to get back in the pickup and then all of them stare at me while they eat their chips and drink a coke......I'll probably be at the nearest dealership grabbing a diesel off their lot in a whirlwind.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote