View Single Post
Old 07-19-2020, 09:13 AM   #61
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky895 View Post
Just a thought on the Diesel trucks. Because of the screen installed for emissions, a short commute will not burn off the screen and could clogg up and cause major problems. They require freeway speeds on a regular basis. My father in law burned up a couple turbos in his 2008 Dodge that way.
As I mentioned earlier, I've had 2 diesels, both our only vehicle driven daily, both with over 150k miles when traded & neither ever had an issue due to short trips.
My son had a '05 Dodge that had injector problems & a Ford Excursion with the POS 6.0 that went through head gaskets, among a dozen other issues, quicker than oil changes, neither were claimed to be caused by being driven daily on short trips.
There are literally 1000s of diesels being used as daily drivers nowadays & this is the only place I've read of them having neverending mechanical issues due to this type of driving. Any vehicle with any engine can have issues at any time!
Also those that keep saying the maintenance costs are extremely high have probably never owned a later model diesel, or any diesel, say the last 10-15 years, from my experience it wasn't the case.
If you don't want a diesel, don't get one! But if towing heavy they won't be beat by any gasser by any manufacturer.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote