View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 06:29 PM   #6
The Sod Father

So, I installed the Hensley Thursday night after work. It was a pretty easy process. The instructions are clear, but I did have to call "the help desk" for some guidance. The help desk being two of my buddies who also have the Hensley Arrow.

I spent Friday morning putting the propane tank back in place. I had all 4 in place but they were rusted so I replaced them with new stainless bolts. After that, I got hitched up and was ready to go on our first trip. I pulled the trailer out of the side yard, pulled in front of the house and got out to see how the whole lashup looked. Doh! I mis-measured and go the wrong size stinger. The trailer was riding a bit high in front. I got panicked, but thebn realized I would only be on the road for an hour, so went on my way.

Now, as I noted, this first trip took me on both the PA Turnpike and the NJ Turnpike. Both are loaded with trucks and and insane drivers. I got cut off twice by maniacs trying to get around me or to get one car length closer to the EZ Pass lane. I had countless trucks blow by me causing all kinds of turbulence. So, what happened to the trailer? Nothing. I could feel the rush of air, but the trailer did not push the Expedition around. I was skeptical of the Hensley, but I am now a convert. Had I taken the same trip with my Equalizer, I would have been white knuckled for most of the trip.

Now, it is not the perfect hitch. I had a heck of a time hitching and unhitching the first time. From what I am told, it is something that you figure out over time and sure enough, when we hitched up this morning to head home, the process was a bit easier. The most difficult part of hitching and unhitching had nothing to do with the hitch but with my stooopid tongue jack. The switch burned out. Grrrrr.. Fortunately, my DeWalt drill came to the rescue.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote