Thread: No brakes!
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2020, 06:17 AM   #1
Msmith2054

No brakes!

Title says what the end result of my problem is.

Brought my TT home to do some cleaning and work on it, and failed to double check everything was hooked up correctly. Somewhere on the way home, my breakaway cable snagged something and pulled out the key, engaging the brakes. Thought something felt different as my truck was straining a little more than usual. Well, I was only about a mile from home so I kept going.
Once I got home I noticed a burning smell and thought maybe I had a break locked up, so I read the temp of all 4 hubs. 245 degrees on all of them. Uh oh.
So, after dropping the trailer and making all the hookups, and having lunch, went back out and noticed the smell was strongest at the nose of the trailer. The breakaway switch was partially melted and very hot so I snipped the wires to remove power.
Replaced the switch, now my brake controller shows a short when brakes not applied, overload when brakes are applied. Net results, no brakes on the trailer.

Where and what would be the must suspect cause? Controller wiring, controller itself, or the most likely candidate the brake wiring on the trailer?
Msmith2054 is offline   Reply With Quote