View Single Post
Old 02-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #28
FlyingAroundRV

John:
Yes, that's quite interesting, especially the connection from the tub to the outlet of the toilet. I hadn't thought about the fact that ultimately everything connects to the same sewer pipe when you're plumbed to city sewage. We live on an island that doesn't have city sewage and so we have a septic system. Grey and black water are completely seperate all the way including seperate drainage fields.
In the drawing you posted, I could see the toilet backing up into the tub, but it looks like the toilet would overflow before it backed into the sinks. Also it looks like when the tub is drained, it would have a tendency to suck the water out of the toilet via the venturi effect. It would at least cause some turbulence in the toilet. Talk about a tempest in a peecup!
I think the plumbing standards must be different here in Oz, because I'm not sure that diagram would get past the inspector here. From what I've seen of building sites here, the grey water is seperate right until it enters the main sewer outlet, and that usually has a grate over it, so if there is a blockage downstream, it overflows outside of the house.
And yes, you do get some smell from the sewer grate, but not much and it's outside.
Edit:
I just went back and re-read your post. What do you think about draining the shower into the black tank? That seems consistent with your diagram for the S&B plumbing. It was the subject of a thread on the forums here and I though (as did the OP) that it was wrong. It seems as though that may be normal practice.
In any case, when we get our trailer, I'll be doing a test to find out exactly what is plumbed to which tank. I think that would be useful to know when dry camping.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote