Thread: Slide Seals
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2020, 08:50 AM   #18
tubacjohn

Black Trim Accents and the Arizona SUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy38 View Post
I noticed today that the large flap seals at the top of my kitchen slide have greatly deteriorated. It appears like they have actually melted in the sun and are gooey. Has anyone replaced these? I have no problem replacing them myself, but where can I get them?
The living room slide seal on my 2014 Montana 3402 did the same after 3 years. It was the only seal that did it and the longest one. It was like black sticky tar! Was replaced on extended warranty. Seals were covered.
My observations. Montana 3402rl is white with black trim colors. The portion of the slide out that is over the seal area is BLACK trimmed. It faces the South. I live in southern Arizona. Sun shines daily on that all year. That would be the hottest area on the surface of the trailer. The slide is also closed when stored in this position. Probably could cook a panini in that seal area! Also any ozone in the atmosphere would encourage degradation of the rubber.
Funny that the last strip on my 16 foot awning was also black. I noticed that it is starting to show pinholes of daylight through the vinyl. It is also on the South facing side! I masked the last 8 inches of the strip and sprayed it with white "Great Stuff" Took two cans! Seems to be holding. Never again would I have an RV with Black accents. Even the AC covers are BLACK. Will be spraying them white If I can't sell the 5er! JOHN
tubacjohn is offline   Reply With Quote