View Single Post
Old 03-26-2020, 07:42 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I've got slide toppers that have been on our Cougar for 6 (going on 7) years now. There are some problems, but nothing I haven't "worked around". The benefits (IMHO) far outweigh the inconvenience.

As for "flapping". It's the edges that "flap in the wind". Lay something heavy on the edge and the flapping stops. A strap over the topper works well, no "tight pulling required"...

Pooling water is an issue. But if you look under the awning, the slide roof is dry with no pine needles or leaves on it. Which is worse: having to sweep the awning roof before bringing in the slide or having to watch water dump off the topper while "inside, dry and not covered with wet leaves" ???

On my slide toppers, if I "really wanted to wipe them down" I can get on a ladder at either end and with a 8' 1x2 with a old towel tied to the end, I can reach the entire seal. Dawn and warm water followed by a "quick hose down" followed by a wipe with Aerospace 303 and I'm done for the year. No need to do it every month when I wash the RV, the seals stay clean and coated.

If, for some reason, I wanted to completely inspect the slide seals, there's 2 screws to loosen to slide the topper edge mechanism off the roof. Just insert the cotter pin in the spring (important not to forget this step) loosen the two screws, pull the bar out of the end of the roller tube, lift the topper onto the roof and the slide top is completely open for work/inspection. It's about a 10 minute process, honestly much less than the 30 minutes to clean pine needles off the slide, and only need to do it every 3 or 4 years.

I'd urge you to not move too quickly to get rid of them. Just like a cup of coffee, once you put milk in it, you simply can't go back to "black with sugar"... Same with slide toppers, once you cut them off, you're committed to spending lots of money or not having any of the advantages....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote