Thread: AM all static
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2021, 03:37 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Just bought a replacement stereo for the ol' Cougar. The original RCA CD player didn't so I bought a Sharp unit which is almost identical in size to the original and got it installed this afternoon.

There is an antenna with obviously an AM and FM section. One is a round thing that you tack up to something (that is what I did on the side of the stereo enclosure ) and a long wire. FM works great. I am guessing the long wire is the AM. When listening to ANY AM station there is electronic interference to where the station is almost inaudible. The power for the stereo is plugged in well away from the wire. I pulled the wire out and moved it around and still the interference.

Any ideas/tips? Like to listen to AM radio (I grew up on it and my favorite stations are AM).
Do you think you may be getting interference from the converter? If it’s a 120 volt stereo I would run an extension cord into the rv separate from the onboard power supply from pedestal.I would shut off all the power to the rv and just have the extension cord to see if it still picks up interference ..if it’s a 12 volt stereo I would look at the ground and may need a noise filter. ( think that’s what they are called) I had a dodge sprinter that had a bad ground to radio and AM did the same thing...also I think the round antenna is the am and the long wire should be fm. Forgive me if I misunderstood