Thread: Generator
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 06:26 AM   #40
Hblick48

I have an Onan Microlite 4000 that was installed by original owner. Powers AC no problem. I found a 3 gallon marine tank that fits into the under framing of the rig, held in with a bungee cord. I'm always ready to go. On trips when I know we will be boondocking, I carry a 6 gallon marine tank as well as a 6 gallon gas can in the bed of the pickup...not the safest thing to do, but no worse than LP that we all carry. LP fueled generators use way too much fuel, so you will be refilling often. Much easier to find gas station than propane.

I also installed a 200 watt solar system with battery controller from Renogy.com, 4 golf cart batteries in series/parallel and a 1200 watt inverter. Fished "110 volt extension cords" from inverter to entertainment center and bedroom tv. When boondocking, I plug satellite receiver and TV's into inverter extension cords. We run satellite box and TV's for 6-8 hours, no problem. 200 watts is sufficient to recharge batteries during the day for another night of boondocking, 100 watts didn't get the job done.

I put an old fashioned mechanical hour timer to control inverter. Didn't want timer to consume power. Set it to go off after we fall asleep and inverter doesn't run all night.

When we need microwave, run generator.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote