Thread: Generator
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2018, 06:50 PM   #36
C.LeeNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The Generac 3500IO is an "open frame" inverter generator. That means it lacks the sound absorbing panels that make up the "suitcase" for most of the inverter generators used in RVing. It will, by the nature of being an inverter generator, make less noise than a conventional 3600RPM construction generator because it will run slower (less noise) when the demand is less than maximum output. How much quieter? That is what Generac won't tell you.

You might do a Google Search for "Generac 3500IO reviews" and see what other people think about it after they bought it.

As for pricing, it's available several places for $699 so that's not a "bargain price"...

Thank you for the reply! Apparently this particular Generac is a new model for this year. I found one YouTube review where some fellows ran a couple of 1500 watt heaters off it and it did fine. Didn't seem loud in the video, but that's tough to judge what it would sound like in real life. The Generac is several pounds less than other models with similar, or even less, output. That's a plus.

For an inverter generator with that kind of output, the price seems right. The "bargain" price comes in with my wife's employee discount.

I'm also looking at the dual fuel Champions. I have two standard open frame Champion generators already. One 3500 watt open frame model I've had for over 10 years now. We use it with our old Class C motorhome, and it's worked great. Runs the AC no problem, but it's pretty loud under load. It's worked so well that we bought a smaller Champion unit as backup for our off the grid backcountry vacation place..I think it's a 1200-1400 watt or so. Don't remember. It's been great so far too. Both generators sit unused a lot, but I've never had issues starting them, even when they'd sat so long that I thought I might.

Plus, Champion publishes the DB's for their units. Odd that Generac won't. That's a BIG downside for the Generac.
C.LeeNick is offline   Reply With Quote