View Single Post
Old 04-13-2018, 01:13 PM   #29
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
CW I agree with most of what you say... Here are my "but's).
OEM tires failures are not brand specific?..but.. where's the data to support that? I confess that you are vastly more informed on this subject so I'd love to read the study on this as I haven't seen anyone posting issues with some of the other OEM brands. That's because there probably is none. Tire building materials are listed on each tire's sidewall. Compounds and adhesives are confidential for each tire and brand name. Without having access to those materials a valid study cannot be conducted.
Trained ...can tell what caused failure..but how many people just replace the tires?
Material Failure always spurn recall? ...but..I would hazard to guess the vast majority of these failed tires end up in a landfill. The manufacturer and NTSB don't see them. Material failure...but..what about manufacturing errors? I agree that the failures should brought to the governments attention, I question why insurance companies don't do this..but.. I suppose it's because most damages caused by tire failures end up with the tire being disposed. The person responsible for removing the failed tire probably has a pretty good feel for the cause of the failure. The boss wants to sell tires. The installer will probably tell the owner to watch their inflation pressures and don't overload the tires. All the safety documents tell us that. Tire failures on trailers rarely end up in fatalities unlike failures on motor vehicles (remember the early steel belt radials?)
Lackadasical maintenance...but.. Do these people change their ways when they replace tires? The durability of the tires on our motorized vehicles spoil us. They all have sufficient load capacity reserves and oodles of speed reserves. And, now days, the tire warning system will go off before the tire is overloaded. Not so with trailer tires, their right on the edge all the time. Even though they are installed in accordance with the same FMVSS standard the need for load capacity reserves is not a requirement for trailer tires. A 1 PSI loss of inflation pressure equals a 1.6% loss of load load capacity. Do they weigh individual wheels to ensure equal loading?Some may, but, there's no way to quantify that with data. Troubleshooting
Finger pointing without troubleshooting... But.. When this happens with such high frequency I think most posters are just relaying their experiences. The tire issues have been discussed ad nauseum here and it seems to me replying without diagnosis equates to folks raising their hands saying yup, it happened to me to.
I completely agree that most of these tires are on the edge of capacity and when replaced are upgraded ..but.. my gut feeling is many who add that capacity will also add more weight because now they can..but.. again no imperial evidence just, observing human nature.
I apologize for taking up yet more storage space on the forums server on the tire subject but I'm seeking more hard evidence on this subject as it is a constantly discussed topic.
See the blue.

It's a coin toss. One side says they always had proper inflation and never exceed the tire's speed rating. What about weight and balance?

The Goodyear Marathon trailer tires have been built here in the USA and in China. No matter where manufactured they have always had a dismal reputation. Yet, they have never had a recall against them.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote