View Single Post
Old 03-21-2020, 10:30 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
Hi, I just picked up our 2019 315RLS from storage without the battery's in it. I wasn't sure if the landing gear would work just off of the truck plug, but it worked fine just seemed little slower than usual. But surprised and happy it worked. It was just the 2 front jacks.
A word of caution !!!!! The landing gear "may have seemed to work just fine" without a battery in the trailer and "just connected to the truck plug".... BUT it was "drawing excessive amps (just not enough to blow the fuse) with a very probable voltage drop over that 14 ga "alloy wire" from the truck electrical system to the plug at the truck bumper....

If you look at any "DC wiring/voltage drop chart" you'll see that for every 5' of wire length you have a voltage drop of around 1 VDC. With any DC wiring, you must calculate the distance "from the battery to the battery" (that means double the measured distance), so in reality, every 5' of wire length really means 2 VDC drop.

I'd urge you not to rely (even for a "one time quickie convenience") on the truck plug to be the "sole source of power" for your landing gear, slides or leveling system.... When you consider that you're "doing great" to get a 5 amp charge rate through that wire while towing, you're also doing "great" to get a 5 amp charge through that wire to run the 20 amp DC motor in the landing gear system.....

In other words, you were lucky "this time".... Don't consider it as a "regular way to raise the trailer pin" You're going to be replacing your landing gear motor much sooner than someone who has never done that...…

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote