View Single Post
Old 03-14-2020, 09:14 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Danny, are you 100% sure of the solid wood stiles in the cabinets? I believe only the very high end manufacturers use solid wood stiles. Real wood is just way too expensive.
Our 2005 Sprinter by Keystone Copper Canyon, I know this is not a super high end unit, but based on how it was ordered was up-fitted by first owners. We have beautiful solid wood arched raised panel cabinet doors, but the stiles are good old compressed sawdust covered with a wood looking wrap. This is standard on about 97% of all brands build.
I have replaced two cabinet face frames due to moisture damage. Materials for both, real oak 3/4” thick, ran about $140. One is the back of our sink peninsula the other is the cabinet frame where our TV is floor to ceiling cabinet frame 2 rails and 6 stiles.
Even the Grand Design Solitudes I have looked at have pressed wood frames.

On the old trailer every cabinet frame/stile etc. I cut or drilled into was solid wood and not MDF/pressed wood. Not so for even the Montana's or Solitudes I looked at. Even the valance over the sliding bathroom door was solid wood on the old one (came off track and tore the end off so got a close look at it repairing it). Looked at a FR Riverstone at the same time I looked at the Solitude and "think" it was the same but didn't spend a lot of time in it because it was too expensive and far too heavy for what I wanted.

As a side note; my initial comments aren't meant to show personal dissatisfaction with what I purchased - I knew what it was when we made that decision. Barring things just falling apart, and I hope they don't, we'll be perfectly happy....especially with the large bathroom and DW's newfound desire for the w/d...

I think what we are witnessing as the RV buying public is the manifestation of all the dynamics at play in the current RV world; unprecedented demand for bigger, lighter units with more goo gaa's at cheap prices....and the RV manufacturers are delivering. With todays costs for labor and material it is easy to understand how "luxury" RVs cost an arm and a leg. We as buyers then have to decide how much that "fun" is worth. Bigger trailer means bigger truck means lots more money and on and on. We could afford a large luxury trailer but that means a large truck (dually) which isn't in my future so we have to live with what's out there and figured I am at the upper end of what my 1 ton can tow....so, I'm thinking I love the HC!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote