View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 08:47 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

If I didn't live in a deployment I'd build a pole barn. Around here indoor storage for a 35+' trailer is too expensive. So either cover or don't.

Before RVs we were boaters and live about a mile from the marina. Last money looser was a 30' long 10' beam twin engined Searay. Paid for it to be shrink wrapped and it looked "new" year after year. Boats are like convertible cars with weak tops so you have to cover them to keep ice/snow from collapsing the flimsy canvas tops and supports.

First year of camper ownership (past the pop up) I covered the camper. Wrestled it on, tied it down and went home.. A "Nor'easter" took care of that cover. The whipping cover marked up the fiberglass to the point of it taking 2 days with a buffer to get out the scratches. When I put the cover in the dumpster at the storage lot there were several other covers already there. I asked the resident storage lot manager about all the damaged covers. He said most people only used the covers their first year as they find that the field mice will use the cover like a "rodent high rise".

So that got me thinking why was I covering it?
To protect the roof? Same material used on commercial buildings, they last 15-20 years without being covered. In the 4 months of being parked the sun is at it's shortest duration of exposure. Tree sap/debris is not an issue as it's on a large paved lot.
To protect the sides? I think a good wax or protective finish will accomplish that, and the cover did more harm than good. And yes, I checked the tension on the ropes regularly. The cover was a "deluxe" or most expensive type then sold.

Observing others removing covers with rodent nests in them convinced me to not repeat the first experience. So that's my experience. Other's use them with great success so I don't think anyone can really tell you what's better for you.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote