Thread: Surging
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 07:47 AM   #24
penra

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I will make this comment, not for further discussion because it's not what you asked nor to chastise or anything else. Just a word of warning in the event you didn't know.

We are in the market for a new truck. It will be a Ram 3500 SRW. I have been trying to spec one out and find it - looks like it may have to be ordered. It will have an approx. 4000 - 4100 lb. payload; maybe 1500 lbs. more than your 3/4. I've also been looking for a new trailer to go with it.

Last week I went through lots of trailers. My criteria was to stay 35' or less and be towable by the aforementioned truck. Of course they want to show you the "big boys" up front. I wanted to look at Cougars because I like them as well as the Montanas or High Countrys. Salesman insisted that I look at the 3120 because it fit the length and he thought I would like the interior. We went through it and I told him "let's go look at the sticker on the side". We did. 35'...good. GVW 16,000lbs. I pointed that out and told him that he should always look at gvw and figure 20% for pin weight when someone like me comes in. 3200 against a 4100 payload was too close IMO. I told him that from my experience if there is a vacant hole somewhere we are going to find/buy something to go in it. So.....let's go back to trailers in the 13k gvw range or so....and we did.

Just to say that that trailer is a LOT for a 3/4 ton and want you to be aware. If you weren't then it's a good thing and hopefully you can take measures to minimize any downsides. If you already knew and thought the diesel made up for it, it doesn't. If you already knew the weight situation and are good with it.....sorry for bringing it up. Just don't want anyone to head out in an upside down situation and not be aware.
It would be great if you would share the specs you have come up with in your search!
penra is offline   Reply With Quote