Thread: TV Antenna
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
webslave

I'm one of those that will swear by the Jack Off-Air replacement head for the Sesar unit, with or without the Wingman addition.

I, first, checked all the connections (they are notoriously poor from the manufacturer) and despite finding one bad connector, the improvement wasn't that great. I then added the Wingman. Better, but, it still wouldn't pull in the stations that several of the antenna aiming websites said I should be getting. I could get the stations by rotating the antenna, but, I would pick up one and drop one. It turns out that the Sensar with Wingman, while a good setup, is very directional. If all the stations are coming from the same area, then it works very well, but, if the stations are spread in much of an arc around your location, then reception falls off. With analog signals, that wasn't so much of a problem; the picture might be poor, but, still watchable. With the new digital signals, there is a much sharper cut-off. You can't watch a "poor" signal; when it gets too poor, you just have a blue screen or a "No signal" message.

I then tried the Jack Off-the-Air antenna head. A direct, two pin, replacement for the Sensar head. Not any difference on the signal reception of those "head-on" stations, but, the Jack has a wider signal arc acceptance range. Those off to the side signals that the Sensar Wingman couldn't feed to the television were suddenly available. Is the Jack a better antenna? Not really, but, it "appears" to be because of the wider angle of acceptance of signals. More television stations viewable, without having to re-aim the antenna.

Bottom line? If you go to the same campground all the time and all the signals come from the same place (a certain city) then you won't notice a difference. If you travel far and wide and you stay at a campground where some of the stations are from city "A" while others are from city "B", then you may get more stations without having to re-aim the antenna using the Jack Off Air replacement antenna head. Takes all of about 5 minutes to swap out heads and it was the first thing I did when I got my new 5er; off with the Sensar, on with the Jack.

I don't know where the one poster bought his for $150, but, you can find the replacement head at most RV shops for around $50...:

http://tweetys.com/jack-for-free-off...t-antenna.aspx

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox / B&W Companion Hitch
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote