View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #19
raytronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I have a Honda "non-inverter" generator, model EN2500. We bought it in Louisiana during Hurricane Rita. We also have, as most already know, a Champion 4000. Both are "louder" than the Honda 3000, but not by much. Both have "conventional generator heads (not sine-wave output) and either of my generators will power all our "delicate electronic equipment" just fine.

From my understanding of electronics, (I worked in the electronics maintenance and repair field for 20 years and taught solid state electronics for about 10 years) is that there is an "acceptability" of RMS power fluctuations. designed in all electronic equipment. Almost all electronic equipment will do just fine with conventional generator AC output. I say "almost all" because so far, I have not had any equipment damaged by or unable to operate on either of my generators, although I'm sure someone has. I understand that "sine-wave technology" is "cleaner" than conventional generator output, but my questions ares: Does electronic equipment "REQUIRE" sine-wave technology" to operate properly? and "What happens to equipment operated on conventional generator output?"

Undoubtedly, sine-wave generators produce cleaner output, but is it necessary?

Although there "might" be a sensitive piece of equipment out there, so far, everything I've owned has been just as happy on my generators as it has been on my home power outlets. I'm speaking from over 10 years of using portable generators to power my equipment.

I'm wondering if there's a possibility that the "new, greater and better" marketing has led us to believe that "sine-wave output" is somehow more "politically correct" in powering equipment??? Maybe it's akin to "clean diesel" ??
From http://www.samlexamerica.com/support...spx#question_4

Which devices wont operated properly on modified sine wave inverter

Any device that uses a control circuitry that senses the phase (for voltage / speed control) or instantaneous zero voltage crossing (for timing control) will not work properly from a voltage that has a modified sine wave-form. Also, as the modified sine wave is a form of square wave, it is comprised of multiple sine waves of odd harmonics (multiples) of the fundamental frequency of the modified sine wave. For example, a 60 Hz. modified sine wave will consist of sine waves with odd harmonic frequencies of 3rd (180 Hz), 5th (300 Hz.), 7th (420 Hz.) and so on. The high frequency harmonic content in a modified sine wave produces enhanced radio interference, higher heating effect in motors / microwaves and produces overloading due to lowering of the impedance of low frequency filter capacitors / power factor improvement capacitors.

Some examples of devices that may not work properly with modified sine wave and may also get damaged are given below:

Laser printers, photocopiers, magneto-optical hard drives
The built-in clocks in devices such as clock radios, alarm clocks, coffee makers, bread-makers, VCR, microwave ovens etc may not keep time correctly
Output voltage control devices like dimmers, ceiling fan / motor speed control may not work properly (dimming / speed control may not function)
Sewing machines with speed / microprocessor control
Transformer-less capacitive input powered devices like (i) Razors, flashlights, night-lights, smoke detectors etc (ii) Re-chargers for battery packs used in hand power tools. These may get damaged. Please check with the manufacturer of these types of devices for suitability
Devices that use radio frequency signals carried by the AC distribution wiring
Some new furnaces with microprocessor control / Oil burner primary controls
High intensity discharge (HID) lamps like Metal Halide lamps. These may get damaged. Please check with the manufacturer of these types of devices for suitability
Some fluorescent lamps / light fixtures that have power factor correction capacitors. The inverter may shut down indicating overload

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote