View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #16
Essness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I have a Honda "non-inverter" generator, model EN2500. We bought it in Louisiana during Hurricane Rita. We also have, as most already know, a Champion 4000. Both are "louder" than the Honda 3000, but not by much. Both have "conventional generator heads (not sine-wave output) and either of my generators will power all our "delicate electronic equipment" just fine.

From my understanding of electronics, (I worked in the electronics maintenance and repair field for 20 years and taught solid state electronics for about 10 years) is that there is an "acceptability" of RMS power fluctuations. designed in all electronic equipment. Almost all electronic equipment will do just fine with conventional generator AC output. I say "almost all" because so far, I have not had any equipment damaged by or unable to operate on either of my generators, although I'm sure someone has. I understand that "sine-wave technology" is "cleaner" than conventional generator output, but my questions ares: Does electronic equipment "REQUIRE" sine-wave technology" to operate properly? and "What happens to equipment operated on conventional generator output?"

Undoubtedly, sine-wave generators produce cleaner output, but is it necessary?

Although there "might" be a sensitive piece of equipment out there, so far, everything I've owned has been just as happy on my generators as it has been on my home power outlets. I'm speaking from over 10 years of using portable generators to power my equipment.

I'm wondering if there's a possibility that the "new, greater and better" marketing has led us to believe that "sine-wave output" is somehow more "politically correct" in powering equipment??? Maybe it's akin to "clean diesel" ??
I personally believe the latter to be the truth
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote