View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #50
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Before the lists are standardized they are scrutinized and approved
Perhaps it is this "standardization" that I most object to. All tires are not the same. There are differences between manufacturers, differences between models of the same manufacturer, differences between load ranges of the same model, and of course between individual tires.

This morning, I discovered to my horror, that the Maxxis m8008 load/pressure table is completely identical---down to the digit---to the boilerplate table in the 2001 TRA manual. I strongly suspect the Power King Towmax table is identical as well.

In other words, the heavily "scrutinized" table simply lists bare minima that only the worst possible individual tire could fail to attain. This only acts to redouble my confidence in going with 55 psi on my new Maxxis LRDs.

The other awesome standardization is that whenever any RV manufacturer puts ST225/75R15D tires on a trailer, on goes a sticker decreeing 65 psi. This, without any due diligence to the vehicle's (or even model's) actual dry weight, and the unequivocal fact that the trailer's weight could vary by thousands of pounds depending upon whatever the owner decides to put in it.

While I agree that tire underinflation is still a major problem facing RVers, the correct solution is not a brain-dead one-size-fits-all sticker. Trailer placards should bear a range of correct tire pressures tailored to whether the trailer is empty or full---just as is done with light trucks.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote