View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #26
wtxdxer

Sorry to drag up an old thread but thought I would post my solution. Like everyone else, my Cougar Xlite 26SAB has virtually no AM radio reception, especially with the converter powered up.

Yesterday I pulled the radio unit out and found the little dipole. I tried stretching it out and adding a long wire. Still tremendous noise from the converter.

Then I decided to try my Palomar Loop Antenna. I've had this antenna for about 30 years, probably the last 20 it's been in the attic. I added some coax to the radio and connected the loop antenna. With the antenna on the dining room table the reception was great. I then set the antenna on the cabinet above the TV. It picked up some noise at that location but I could adjust the loop and tuning and minimize the noise.

A picture of the antenna is at http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0445.html. Unfortunately the Palomar Loop Antenna is no longer made but they may occasionally be available on eBay. There are also other amplified loop antennas on the market which may work.

Regards,

Alan