View Single Post
Old 01-27-2023, 04:21 PM   #7
dutchmensport

We had our driveway completely resurfaced and widened (asphalt) about 6 years ago. In so doing, I had them slope the drive way sideways. It already had a natural down hill slope that drained absolutely everything right into the garage when it rained. Sloping side ways now allows rain to run off the edge before all 220 feet of 30 feet wide asphalt runs right into the garage. In so doing, the (North) side of the edge is about 8 inches higher than the (South) edge, which makes the drive way really out of level (side to side). But the rain run off works great now.

Meanwhile, that means the trailer is now tiled side to side quite a bit. My solution was to simply lay 8 foot x 12 inch treated lumber on the asphalt on the low side of the drive way and that side of the trailer tires roll upon the lumber. It's 3 inches high now (from the asphalt), which now comes close to leveling the trailer side to side.

However, after these years, the weight of the trailer is now causing the added edge to sink, right where the trailer sits. So, I'm pretty sure, soon I'll be adding a 3rd layer of lumber on top to keep it level side to side.

Then the electric jacks? With the tires now raised 3 inches of the ground, that means I must put something under the jacks so they do not have to extend so far, otherwise, yes .... they stroke out.

I carry a mountain of lumber with the camper all the time. I've picked up a couple more big blocks to use under the jacks (especially since I raised the back two as high as they'll go), I really need to put blocks under the jacks now.

I simply keep those 8 foot boards in the drive way all the time. They never move, even when we are gone. When we return home, I simply aim the tires for those boards and I'm parked in exactly the same spot every time.

This is your best solution. Get some treated lumber and build up the low side (if yours is unlevel left to right or side to side). If the jacks are stroking out, then put blocks under the jacks so they have to extend so far. This will take care of your problem. In other words, do all you can to level the trailer when you first park it and truly use the jacks for stabilizing and fine-tuning the level.

Here's what I'm talking about: