Thread: youtube videos
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2023, 05:50 AM   #6
dutchmensport

I have used YouTube videos for, probably, hundreds of different projects...wood working, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, masonry, carpentry, roofing, and lots and lots and lots of RV related repairs, fixes, and know-hows.

But, I never settle for just the first one I stumble into. I spend the time to watch, listen, and take notes from several. As you indicated, one video may present the problem and a potential fix, but leave something vital out or somehow in the video, get it turned around backwards. Watching several reveals what's really going on.

The last set of videos I REALLY watched, studied, and analyzed for days on end was hot use epoxy glaze on counter tops. Every one I watched presented the same basic information, but each out brought out a slightly different point of emphasis that they felt was most crucial or the biggest mistake they made and tips to avoid. Putting it all together, when I finally did mine, I had no issues. Time consuming yes ... but no issues.

YouTube is my friend.

One thing you REALLY have to remember about YouTube videos is the fact that folks post these videos based on their own experience and they are not "professionals". They are just ordinary folks putting something "out there" as an attempt to help someone else. There some many, many put out there also by different companies selling their products. These are more professional made videos and often include steps on how to use their products or do a simple troubleshoot of their product.

Case in point, my wife and I watched several videos on the Kitchen Aid stand mixer. Before we purchased our (just 2 weeks ago), we watched and learned, and debated if this was something we really wanted to spend the money in.

After we got it, we also purchased the bread making bowl and beater, and just yesterday received the Ice Cream maker accessory. All thanks to YouTube videos that helps us make these decision. By the way, that Ice Cream bowl needs to be frozen in a freezer for 24 hours before use. So ... about 4 pm this after noon ... we're attempting our first ice cream batch ... and yes ..... following a YouTube video's instructions.

So, you know... YouTube is a great resource. But yes, one does have take them with a grain of salt and remember where they originate from. But, if you put enough grains of salt together, you've got enough to salt your popcorn.