View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 05:16 AM   #20
Ayotte

Recently got in contact with Jensen tec support. Below is their response to my questions.
Product: - AWM965 - JENSEN AM/FM/CD/DVD/MP3/USB Wallmount Stereo
Comment: I have a Jensen stereo in a 2012 Keystone Cougar 5th wheel. The radio works fine as long as I am not plugged into shore power. As soon as I connect to the 110 the radio goes all noisy and I even loose some stations. The problem is the converter in the camper-if I flip the breakers for the converter off the radio works fine again. I have contacted Keystone and they say that the converters they use in their campers create clean power so that is not the problem. If the converter is off radio works fine, converter on-radio no good. What do I do to correct the problem? I read somewhere if you run a separate power wire directly from the battery it would solve the problem-did that didn't help. What would you suggest-all the rest of the system works fine-just the am and fm radio stations. Basically the radio is useless in the camper. Thanks for any help you can give me. Allan

Thank you for contacting ASA Electronics. When you connected power from the AWM965 to the battery, did you also run the ground wire directly to the battery as well? Also when you separated power for the AWM965, did you test the TV with the external sources disconnected, like the TV? Is the noise just with AM/FM on the AWM965 or are you getting when playing a DVD or using an auxiliary input? Do you know what style of antenna is being used with the radio? If you isolated the radio and are still getting the noise when the converter is running, it might be putting out RF noise that the antenna is then picking up and creating the issue.

Yes I did run two wires-a ground directly to battery ground and a positive directly to battery. The dvd and cd player works fine-it is only the am and fm radio stations. It does not have an external antenna –it is a wire in a t form(I believe you call it a Dipole). I extended the antenna lead and moved the antenna up to the top of the cabinet above the tv (it was shoved in the wall behind the stereo) but this didn’t help. Hopefully you can find a solution for me as the radio is useless the way it is. Thanks. Allan

I know that you were told by the OEM that the converter couldn’t cause the issue, but it sounds like the converter is putting out RF noise and the radio is picking it up through the antenna. Since you have connected the radio to a separate power source, and are still getting the noise, it doesn’t appear to be induced through the power wires of the radio. Have you tried a portable radio in the RV to see if it also gets the interference?

I do not have a battery operated portable but took and extension cord from a completely different circuit than the camper is on and a small house radio and put it in the camper. Have same problem with the house radio. Seems to be from about 660 to 980 on the am stations. They ether cut out or whine. This being said if I bought a RF interference filter and installed it on the antenna lead, do you think this would solve or improve the operation of my stereo? Thanks Allan

You could try an antenna filter, it should help, but depends on how much noise is hitting the radio. I’m not sure if going with a mast style on the outside of the RV would help, the noise might be induced to the coax cable. I would see if you could test by extended the antenna to outside the RV and see if you still get the noise. The last thing would be to try again to get the converter changed out.
Ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote