View Single Post
Old 05-01-2022, 07:50 AM   #71
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Yesterday I finally got around to putting the new spare tire in the carrier. I got to thinking about how tight I should have it pulled up against the holder thing. I remembered the installer at the tire store telling me when I got my new tires that the spare which i had put on after the blow up and only had about 300 total miles on it had started to separate on the inside. Looking at the holder there are two flat stops on either side of the little winch that press on the sidewall and so now i am wondering if that could have caused the spare to start separating. I don't want it loose where the tire can move, just trying to figure out how tight I should make it against the stops.

Couple of questions:
1. The spare that "appeared" to have separation. How old was it? Where had it been stored? Do you have any pictures showing the separation? If you had filed a complaint with NHTSA they would have needed both the full DOT and a picture of the "failure". Was the failure bubble also visible on the outside?

2. In the picture of the new spare up under the RV it looks like the wheel has an offset so the wheel is up and contacting the mount? Many pickups have their spare mounted under the bed with the tire sidewall hard against frame cross member. While this can leave an ugly "dent" in the tire sidewall I have not seen a tire fail because of the "dent"