View Single Post
Old 07-25-2021, 01:20 PM   #169
CWtheMan

I guess I should have clarified my reasons for not using mail order/ internet tires.

During our more than 5 years on the road as full timers, the only home we had was our fiver. Full time for us was an on-the-go travels adventure with very few stops longer than two weeks. During those years we visited all of the lower 48 and 3 CDN provinces and put about 120,000 miles on our rig. We used approx. 50 tires on our trailer and another 12 on our TV.

I very seldom identify our trailer tires because they were not popular but they were easy to find, nation wide. Tomax by Power King was the brand. Our original tires were GY Marathons. All four on the road failed within the first year and I trashed the fifth. Went with a higher load range Tomax and changed them out every 12,000 miles. Most of our failures after that were from road hazards.

Advise: Get individual wheel weights on the trailer tires, regularly. Check inflation pressures before you roll, every time, even on an overnighter. Do a tire heat check at every rest stop. Do it when you arrive and before leaving. You can get hot brakes when pulling into some short rest area entrance roads. The heat from the hot brakes will dissipate into the wheels and tires.

TV tire brands. Original GY, second set Kelly Springfield - my younger brother worked at KS, got me a very good price - next GY AT. The Marine Air Station NEX, Yuma AZ talked me into them. On sale and no tax. Great tire, really good wet road traction.

Bottom line, we would not like to sit around waiting for tires to be shipped and then find out they are already a year old.

After leaving from a 3 month winter stay at Yuma, AZ we were heading east on I8. After the veggie check and the long pull up the mountains, we stopped at a truckers pull-out on top just to do a walk-around. What a great idea. one of the tires had a wire sticking out of it's sidewall. Got a replacement for it at the next overnighter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AZ - I8 - 7.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	34851
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote