View Single Post
Old 05-09-2021, 09:01 AM   #67
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzelessknowledge View Post
Yes. My mom has Alzheimer’s and dad is barley able to walk to the bathroom.
Yes, it’s early but if we realize with all the factors that we must stay small then I’ll keep my truck and we’ll get a very small but enjoyable TV.
Alternatively if we can’t get the size we want and the truck, then we’ll take the money and buy a second home in the smokies. But we’d rather travel and see things.

So this is why we’re asking now so we can plan for the inevitable future.

I really appreciate your help. I’ve reading other posts and your comments there are helpful too.

To each their own but I would be remiss if I didn't say it;

Be careful and do a LOT of research before buying a "2nd home" in a perceived nice place. I've done it twice and inherited 2 more. The issues, IMO, are never ending insurance, taxes, maintenance and the inability to see other places.

Maintenance was fun for us when we were younger and we loved doing it. As you age a few decades climbing that 22' ladder over the deck to stain the walls, hanging off hooks screwed into logs with a safety belt to do maintenace....those things become tedious and dangerous. If you want to farm that out to someone else in a resort area you need deep pockets.

The fun you initially had with the "beautiful" place, if like me, will turn to dread when you drive up and can see immediately several months of required maintenance that must be done. Then, if like me, I just refused to think/worry about it and had fun in the RV. In 2018/2019 I spent 2 days there - and hated both of them because all I saw was work and felt guilty about not staying and doing it. Wasn't going to deal with that, immediately found a fellow and sold it to him for about 60% of the appraised value....and was happy - and thankful. Now we travel in the RV and ALL the time is fun, new and interesting (8 mos. last year). Do your homework and think it through.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote