View Single Post
Old 05-07-2021, 05:39 PM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzelessknowledge View Post
Yes, I do realize the sticker is the gospel but some base number have helped me get toward the right direction.

I do need to do more research and understand how to figure out the correct hitch weight.
Thanks
When looking on the Keystone website (and some others, but I won't use that catchall "ALL" any more), when you look at the specs for any trailer, you'll see "shipping weight", "Cargo Carrying Capacity" and "Hitch/Pin weight" listed on every trailer (with the exception of a few introductory models that are just now on the market).

On the Keystone website, adding the shipping weight and the cargo capacity will give you the trailer GVWR. Disregard the hitch/pin weight. That figure is "as the trailer leaves the assembly line with empty propane tanks and no battery or spare tire/tire rack". So, the "published hitch weight" is a phantom that you'll never see once the dealer installs a battery and fills the propane tanks....

It's common practice to use 10-15% of the GVWR to calculate the hitch weight of a travel trailer and 20-15% of the GVWR to calculate the pin weight of a fifth wheel... Most of us have found that the weights "usually" are close to 12% for travel trailers ready to tow and 22% for fifth wheels ready to tow...

So, when you're looking at "anticipated real world weight estimates" look at the shipping weight+cargo capacity as the trailer weight and 22% as an estimated pin weight. Then add the weight of your preferred hitch to that and you'll be fairly close to what the trailer will "put in your pickup bed". Subtract that value (pin weight + hitch weight) from your payload and that's what's left over for all your passengers, cargo, generator, tools, aftermarket stuff like running boards, mud flaps, maps, TPMS monitor to stick on the dash, gloves in the glove compartment and "mamma's purse".... It all adds up quickly, and you NEVER want to compromise with the statement, "We'll always travel with empty tanks and all our cargo will never exceed 500 pounds, so I'll just use the dry weight and add a little for our stuff".... I've never seen anyone with a trailer that sticks to that philosophy after the first couple of trips.... Use the GVWR as your "starting trailer weight for truck capacity calculations"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote