View Single Post
Old 05-07-2021, 01:03 PM   #20
Wxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Crunching the numbers usually doesn't include payload. Every truck has a GVW (all 3/4 ton trucks are limited to 10,000 GVW). The payload is what's left of that 10K when you subtract the weight of the truck. ie: 10,000-7650= 2350 payload... It doesn't much matter if you have a 27K GCWR or a 24K GCWR if the pin weight of a trailer is 2200 pounds and your spouse weighs 150 pounds. By the time you put the 200 pound hitch in the truck and hitch the trailer, your truck is overloaded and there's no "payload left for her"... Even though you're 7000 pounds under the GCWR, your truck can't "within ratings" tow that trailer.

As for "economy of diesel and less maintenance costs for gas" they pretty much "equal each other over the length of ownership"... Most used diesels sell for several thousand more than a comparable gas truck, so the majority of the "up front diesel cost" is recovered at tradein or when the truck is sold.

Today's diesels are significantly different from those of 10 or 20 years ago, so discount much of the "when I had my diesel" that you'll hear....

There are some gas engine options that "fit nicely between older gas trucks and diesel trucks. The 7.3l Ford gas engine is one example of what manufacturers are offering "to fill the wide open gap" between "barely adequate gas trucks and overpowered for most users diesel trucks"....

It's never a "buy this one, it'll always work for everyone" but don't discount the limited payload in the 3/4 ton series and the "desire to upgrade to a little bit larger fifth wheel that nearly everyone goes through a couple years after buying "that one that will get us into the fifth wheel ownership".... I don't know of very many owners who own the same fifth wheel they owned 5 or 6 years ago and none of them "went smaller the second time"....
Let me start by saying if I was getting a 5th wheel I would go at least 3500 SRW. However, the 3/4 truck statements here just aren't true.
Specifically for GM, a CC 2500 has GVW option of 10650 gas, 11350 diesel. So, not all 3/4 tons are limited to 10k, and the gas vs diesel payload debate is largely eliminated with the increased GVW of the diesel. (My highly optioned gas Sierra has payload of 3385.)
A 1 ton SRW has GVW of 11350 gas or 12100 diesel I believe. Once again pretty much eliminating gas vs diesel payload differences.

The debate is a good one. I just hate these blanket statements that aren't really true anymore. Got to look at the individual TV and know it's capabilities vs one's needs.

Happy Camping
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote