View Single Post
Old 05-07-2021, 10:51 AM   #8
LewisB

^^^absolutely concur with John^^^

Many (most?) of us started out with either an SUV or 1/2 ton PU and then progressively fought the battle of constantly being over loaded on payload, needing a larger truck, and then wanting an even larger trailer. This may not happen to you, but it seems to happen to most of us. As we got older, our needs changed and our DW's wanted more - space, beds, bathrooms, storage, footroom, appliances, etc. Then it was "toys" - ATV's, motor cycles - an endless list of stuff we wanted to take when we go...

You are very wise to be asking questions now well in advance of your purchase. As John recommends, Payload will almost always be your limiting factor. And 1 ton over 3/4 ton trucks will make an enormous difference in what you can safely and legally tow for very little difference in cost.

Gas Vs Diesel: I started off as a gas guy - purposely bought a new Ford in 1997 because it was the last year for the 460. Spend a whole lot for aftermarket modifications including a gear vendor giving me an 8 speed transmission. That truck was sweet - but it just would not pull as well as a diesel, especially in high elevations of Colorado. Once I switched to the diesel, I will never go back to a gas motor for towing. Others may feel different, but the initial cost is carried through to the value at sale and the operational costs are minor. Modern diesels (say 2017 and newer) are absolute towing beasts! So I recommend a diesel personally. JMHO
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote