View Single Post
Old 11-08-2020, 08:26 PM   #77
rlh1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
My new 2021 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 32BHS came with Trailer King RST ST225/75R15E tires.

All the talk on the interwebs about China bombs has me concerned that I should trash these tires right out of the gate.

After looking closely at how the Cougar is built around the tires, a blowout would likely cause much damage and be very expensive to repair.

I think I read somewhere that the TK RST's are a fairly new model and with little history on them as far as reported failures?

So I am considering the Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15E tire as a replacement as this seems to be the only American made choice in that size with an E load rating.

Should I or should I not? If I do am I making a good move with my choice of replacement tire?
Yup same tires on our 2020 Keystone Cougar 29RKS Fifth Wheel. ST225/75R15E tires.

80psi cold, TPMS showed 95psi and 104 F temp doing 65mph, under gross on truck, on rig and tongue. Tires had 1500 miles on them when first on blew. It blew one of the left tire tread off like it was a complete retread. Luckily no other vehicles were near us in NM on a smoother portion of I-40-E so no others involved. No damage to rig.
Within an hour the right side tire separated in pieces in the same area, this time crumpling and mangling the fender skirt on the right side, this was before we could have found a tire shop to take care of the first defective tire.

To my credit and to our rescue was the fact that I carry two spares. After changing two spares luckily we were in a mile of a good truck tire shop.
So we got the two blowouts replaced as well as replaced the other two Trailer King tires.
My two spares are Not Trailer King but rims are not matching the OEM rims.
When they replaced to other two TK tires they said they looked suspect because of blemish or bumps in the manufacture.

So I don’t know anything about TK changing or improving but out rig blew tires in August ‘20.
Partly my fault for not changing them at 500 miles instead of trying to make a 3500 mile trip on year old manufacturer date TK tires. I knew I was on borrowed time so shame on me.
TK still sucks and is really hit and miss.

Some people still have success with them, but my statistics shows poor success.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote