View Single Post
Old 05-02-2020, 05:34 PM   #45
fjr vfr

The way I interpret all these Reg's is that they apply to manufactures selling or distributors of motor vehicles. Once a vehicle is sold and titled as a private vehicle they do not apply.
In Virginia as in some other states we have an annual safety inspection. When I take my trailer in for inspection they check that it is safe to operate on the highways. They check brakes, suspension, lights, etc. and anything that might make it unsafe to operate out on public streets. They do not check whether it conforms to any new vehicle Regulations. It is a private vehicle. I am not a manufacturer selling new vehicles.

Once they affix a sticker on my vehicle I have met all state requirements...period. In states that don't have annual safety inspections the owner is still required to operate their vehicle safely and insure the maintenance of the vehicle is kept up. In all cases they do not require private owners to maintain vehicles to new vehicle regulations.
We are not selling standardized new manufactured vehicles to the public.
The federal government controls their manufacturing certifications.

We are private owners and only need to insure the safe operation of our private vehicles.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote