View Single Post
Old 10-04-2019, 12:59 PM   #7
Audionut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
If you run at 80 psi, and it is "too much" the center of the tire may wear out before the edges. But you'll still replace them long before the center runs out of tread (unless you tow a lot), so when I did this (May) I just filled them to 80 and have less rolling resistance.

By all rights you should do the chalk test (chalk line across the tire tread, roll forward and see if the line comes off evenly) but I think airing them up won't do any harm.

With our 2015 Keystone 36’ TT, 2 axle, dry wt 7720 lbs, and GVWR 9500 lbs, came from the factory with ST225/75R15D, from what I've been told I should go up to storage, crawl under and look at the back of the wheels and see what the wheels PSI is rated for. It may be only rated for 65 psi? So I may have to replace the wheels if I go up to a E load tire with a max psi of 80?

We bought used, but I am pretty sure they are the stock wheels Keystone put on, and they look like 6 lug aluminum spoke type wheels and hope I don't have to switch out the wheels.

Now I just read this Q&A on etrailer.com:

https://www.etrailer.com/question-60785.html

Quote:

Question:
I wanted to know if I can go from the 225/75R15D tire that I currently have on my trailer, to a 225/75R15E tire? Will my current wheel, be able to handle the increased tire pressure needed for the E load range rated tire? Ive been reading about wheel ratings for tire pressure, and Im not sure what my current wheel is rated for. I was just curious, if I were to have E load rating tires installed, if I would need to have different wheels to match the tire pressure rating for the new E load tires. The tire person I spoke with, said I could just run the same tire pressure of 65 psi as with the D load rating tires I have on there currently. The reason why Im asking is, they have the E load rating tires in stock and my load on the trailer hasnt changed. They said the E load rating would just be a higher load rating if nothing more, especially when running the tire pressure at 65 psi. It would just handle the same load as my D load rated tire I have on. Is this correct? Just curious to know, so Im not doing something thats wrong.

Expert Reply:
Different size and bolt pattern wheels that take the same tire size will have different psi ratings. If your existing wheels are rated for 65 psi then it is less likely that they would also be rated for 80 psi which is what an ST225/75-15 load range E tire requires.

Trailer tires should always be inflated to the maximum psi as indicated on the tire. The person you spoke with must not have known about the difference between trailer tires and passenger vehicle tires. Trailer tires are made with a thicker sidewall and if they are under inflated they would generate excessive heat and cause the tire to fail.

If you wanted to go to load range E I would also replace the wheels. Also keep in mind that going to a higher capacity tire does not increase the capacity of the trailer.