View Single Post
Old 05-31-2019, 05:22 AM   #7
rjrelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Also, it's said being parked for long times is hard on these tires as they will last longer when rolling regularly, but not sure what the technical reason for this is.
I think it has something to do with oxygen getting worked out of the rubber by mechanical action and reducing oxidation of the rubber. There may also be some beneficial chemical reactions that occur when rolling. The oxygen permeates the rubber over time and the permeation increases with ambient temperature. The higher pressure on the inside of the tire causes more oxidation on the interior layers and can cause ply separation when it gets to the "skim" layers that hold the plys together.

Tire covers will protect the outside from UV and light colored covers may help the heat issue to some extent but as far as I understand, tires usually age out from the inside without any indication that they are about to fail. The only solution is to replace based on the age of the tire. I think they say five years regardless of external condition although you will probably see reduced load capacity before that. Here is a link to a "sciency" article on rubber oxidation and tire aging that goes into more detail:

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/21e...c12408388a.pdf

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote