Thread: "China Bombs"
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 10:12 AM   #37
deleontow

So I would like to jump in and say something I have seen over many years. 1st I am not a tire engineer. I am a certified master automotive technician. I ran a towing company for many years. I have seen a lot of tire failures and accidents. I have owned trailers for many years. One thing I have seen is tires that sit a lot (Most RVs do) seem to have failures (separations) at the point where the tires were sitting on, for a along time. I always inspect my rigs before any trip. I had the correct air pressure and not over loaded. During one inspection we moved the trailer to my work location and then noticed that both tires on one side were separating. Both showed signs that it was the area were the trailer tires had been sitting for the summer. So my 2 cents from experience is to make sure your tires are good before the trip, take a very close look at the bottom of the tire if it was sitting for any time. Even checking tires and making sure the date codes are not too old, I had a tire failure a few years ago. Going only about 25 MPH I heard a load pop. Noticed it was one tire. Pulled over and it had a sidewall failure. Round hole about the size of a silver dollar. No other damage noted. Like any other product I dont buy the china bombs. Tires regardless of manufacture will have failures. As an operator it is the responsibility of the driver to make sure your rig is safe. I have a 2002 Ford F350 pulling a 2013 Raptor 40 FT 5th wheel. I always make sure my tires are filled to 80 PSI, and make sure the tow rig tires are also to correct air pressure. Many miles and keeping them aired and not overloaded has helped me over the years.
deleontow is offline   Reply With Quote