Thread: "China Bombs"
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 09:55 AM   #36
itat

I don't like the "China bomb" moniker either. That's not to say I don't believe people who say they had a failure despite being properly inflated and not overweight. Every product, regardless of where its produced, has a failure rate, and I hope I never get caught in that numbers game.

"China bomb" is an emotional reaction, sometimes even based in prejudice, to a perception that all things made in China (or Asia for that matter) are crap. If they are all "bombs" waiting to go off, then they should all fail prematurely and that's simply not happening.

None of us knows how the tires were treated before we took possession of the trailer. Maybe the delivery driver was towing it way too fast. Maybe they hit a big pothole or a curb. These things could cause damage we can't see that would only get worse over time and eventually lead to tire failure (hopefully not catastrophic).

My solution is not perfect but here it is. On your first trip with a new (to you) trailer, get it weighed fully loaded for camping. If the tires on the trailer don't have a load rating with a good safety margin - say 15% - then replace them as soon as you can. If they do have a good safety margin compared to your actual weight, then keep them and practice good tire care to mitigate the chances of a failure. Check tire pressures daily when you're travelling. Check tire temps when you stop to see if any of them are significantly higher than the others. And regularly inspect for signs of belt separation. Get TPMS if you feel it will help.

And finally, ST tires age out before they wear out. So find the manufacturing date on the sidewalls and change them when the tires are 5 years old.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote