Thread: "China Bombs"
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2019, 09:01 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I continue to see people talking about 'China Bomb" tires. As an engineer, this makes me a bit sad that so many people appear to have such a poor understanding of the difference between "causation" and "correlation".

While it is true that a majority of the tires on RV trailers that fail were made in Asia, and for many folks that meant "China".

But I would ask If 90+% of the tires applied to RV trailers were made in "China" why are you apparently surprised to learn that 90+% of the tires that fail in RV trailer use were made in "China"?

In an effort to make the difference between "causation" and "correlation" a bit easier to understand I have sometimes offered the following example.

If you check with people in prison you will probably find that 90+% have eaten McDonald's fries. So, therefore, it could be concluded that eating those fries can be considered something like a "gateway drug" to breaking the law and ending up in prison. I think we can see that that conclusion is not sound or reasonable but clearly the numbers are similar to what we see in the RV community.

Yes tires in RV Trailer have shorter life than in other applications but major reasons for the higher rate is clearly a combination of the documented very high percentage of RV Trailers with tires in overload/under-inflation as well the clearly identified impact on belt separations due to Interply Shear due to the suspension design of multi-axle RV trailers.

Tireman, I appreciate your "opinion" on this hotly discussed topic. My thought would be...you must have irrefutable evidence that the rate of failures is due to "overload/under inflation as well as clearly identified impact on belt separations"? Please post that information or obviously it is an opinion.

Interply shear is something that a trailer tire is subjected to, and built for. Now, I agree that some situations can be much harsher on the tire, but to say that is has "clearly been identified" as a major cause of failures on an ST tire must have some corroborating evidence; please post.

My recent failure wasn't due to your above causes...it was a "China bomb" built in the same province and same factory as the other "China bomb" failures I'm aware of...and oddly, buying a set of tires from a different China factory fixed that for me....and others (the original China bombs blew at just over 3000 miles)...the new "China made tires have about 16k on them and running strong". So yes, I have a great understanding of "causation" and "correlation"...but also real life experience in "what is" and "what ain't". BTW, I have both engineers and PHDs in my family that I try to keep in line...
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote