View Single Post
Old 11-06-2018, 02:31 PM   #187
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
When I write things like that I’m almost always getting the information from established industry references. So, lets look at some of them.

The following quote is verbatim from the 2019 Keystone generic owner’s manual. It’s a standard answer that is placed in all RV trailer owner’s manuals as mandated by NHTSA. “The” tire dealer they refer to is the one selling that size and brand.

“To maintain tire safety, purchase new tires that are the same size as the vehicle’s original tires or another size recommended by the manufacturer. Look at the Tire and Loading Information label, or the sidewall of the tire you are replacing to find this information. If you have any doubt about the correct size to choose, consult with the tire dealer.”

The following information is about replacement tires and is the tire industry standard, as written in the RV section of the USTMA PDF.

“When tires need to be replaced, do not guess what tire is right for the vehicle. For the answer, refer to the vehicle tire placard, certification label, or in the vehicle owner’s manual for any additional tire replacement recommendations. The vehicle tire placard identifies the size of the tires, including the spare, that were installed on the vehicle as original equipment (OE). The placard also specifies the recommended cold inflation pressures for the tires on all axles and for the spare. If the vehicle does not have a vehicle tire placard or certification label, consult the vehicle owner’s manual, vehicle manufacturer, or tire manufacturer. A tire dealer should also be familiar with these requirements and is an excellent resource.”

All replacement tire fitments have a set of standards to follow. The USTMA establishes replacement tire standards. Each tire manufacturer may say it a little differently, but the result will be the same. Here is how Michelin says it.

For maximum safety, Michelin recommends to only replace your tires with the same size recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.

Some advice; Never choose a tire that is smaller in size or has less load-carrying capacity than the tire that came with the vehicle.

Tires should always be replaced with the same size designation — or approved options — as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.
The correct tire size designated for your vehicle should always be verified with the information in your vehicle owner’s manual or on the tire information sticker/certification label.

Note: It’s common for me to list Michelin references even though they don’t manufacturer ST tires. I live 10 miles from Michelin of North America.

Note: A tire size designation does not include the tire's load range/service description.
So CAL, when your Everest came with LRD ST 16", did not continue to install the same thing for years, or did you realize the manufacturer sent it out with tires not up to the job. Even when you upgraded to LRE tires did you not continue to experience tire failures? I little background on your personal tire experience might be a debate equalizer.

Over the years I have seen you continue to post the goodness of ST tires for trailers despite many personal failures. During a similar time frame I ran LT XPS Ribs and R250's without a single failure. How do you explain that?

Without Goodyear's newer Endurance ST, I would have most likely looked to the Goodyear Cargo regional service van/truck tire or the Maxxis Bravo for our new bumper pull this summer.