View Single Post
Old 10-01-2018, 09:29 PM   #167
cookinwitdiesel

Just finished reading this entire thread. Lot of good information. I recently got the truck and trailer in my sig both new (2018 GMC 2500HD Denali Diesel and 2018 Hideout 28RKS). Haven't taken it out yet.

For my trailer, it has the following stats:
GVWR: 9660#
Hitch Weight (minimum?): 860#
Max Cargo Payload: 2650#

There are 2x 4400# Axles on it, which is why the hitch must be 860 to satisfy the regulatory stuff (2x4400+860=9660). I have not taken anything onto a scale yet to verify what the actual hitch weight is but I currently have a 1000# WDH on the truck (what Camping World provided with the trailer - think it is a rebranded Curt) and the truck can take up to a 1500# tongue weight (Class V hitch receiver).

The factory installed tires are ST225/75R15 LRD rated at 2540# each @ 65 PSI (which is also what is on the sticker). Combined that gives me 10160# on the tires but only 8800# on the axles. I believe the trailer was around 7000# empty so when I load it up my understanding is I need to keep it closer to the front/hitch and not have any weight added over the axles if I can avoid it. Pretty much once the kitchen is stocked stick to the pass-through storage under the front. Fortunately, I can put a bunch of stuff in the truck bed to help offload the trailer while on the highway. The tires are LoadStar Karrier KR35 which looks like they are made by Kenda and have no speed rating stamped on them. Should I assume they are only rated for 65 mph then? These are definitely "Made in China" tires but based on the vast experience of everyone here, should I start looking for new tires or get a couple years use out of these before starting to worry?

Everything else was background, the bolded stuff is my most pressing concern. Ideally I would have tires rated up to ~80 mph for the trailer - is that realistic/reasonable? In my daily driver (just a Mazda CX-9) I regularly drive up to 10 over the speed limit and never more than 78-79 (got enough speeding tickets as a youth to have gotten that out of my system). I know I wont be going as fast in the truck pulling the trailer but would think that 70-75 is not outside of the realm of possibility especially in good conditions with low traffic.

And I do not know if this would be considered off topic or not...my truck has Goodyear Wrangler SR-A LT265/60R20ES tires installed from the factory. The GMC sticker calls for 60 PSI on the fronts, and 75 PSI on the rears. Goodyear specs the tires at 3195# load @ 80 PSI. My rear GAWR on the truck is 6200#. The front GAWR is 5200#. I have been unable to find an inflation/load chart for these tires - should I be good sticking to the sticker spec'd inflation pressures?

Thanks in advance for the help!
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer