View Single Post
Old 09-09-2018, 09:43 AM   #151
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Javi, did you just blow past this statement.

The LT tire is tested at this pressure, time and load profile at 75 mph. This is a 50% increase over the ST and will induce significant additional load and heating on the tire during testing. After that, the LT test is not complete. Next a “Low Inflation Pressure Performance” test is performed for the LT tire only. The tire pressure is decreased to 46 psi and the tire is immediately run for an additional 2 hours at 75 mph and 100% of rated load.

Thus, the LT tire endurance test is drastically more intense than the ST endurance test.

So you feel that with an ST tire rated at 3,500# you need to replace every two years to avoid failure.
Do you replace the LT tires on your F350 every two years?

Then there is your 5er 2015 Cougar 333MKS

Dry 10,330#
Payload 1,760#
GVWR 12,090#

So LT tires in a 235/85-16E with 3,042# capacity would cover the entire GVWR, even though likely supporting less than 10,000#, more like 9,300# based on your stated pin of 2,800# (that is what I remember).
I know most likely your capacity sticker states tire size of ST 235/80-16E so can't legally go to an LT.

Our 2005 Copper Canyon came with LT 235/85-16Es even though my GVWR is 12,360. Being a 2005 I don't have the yellow sticker, just the VIN weight statement inside a cabinet door near the sink, where it holds up a lot better!
I do have an email from Keystone with the build information that states LT 235/85-16s were installed at the factory.

Just saying.
Russ
Russ...

Not that it really matters but the stickered GVWR of my trailer is 12,350... 2 A/C's

No I didn't blow past any part of the report, I simply maintain that standard testing principles dictate that the LT tire be tested to different limits than the ST tire... Testing the ST to the limits of the LT tire would result in higher failure rates... that is a logical conclusion..

I'm also aware of the assembled limitations of my trailer and that the axle is the weak point as it is rated for 5200 lbs. This however does not change the rule/law or policy of not mounting tires of lesser load capacity than the O.E.M.

I could make a good case for using the 3042 lbs. load limited tires in my case; but as you stated, I'd have to circumnavigate the /rule/law or policy of any legitimate tire store such as Discount Tire in order to mount the LT tires on my trailer.. It is painfully evident that the O.E.M. fitment was the ST 235/80R-16E

And I replace my ST tires every two years as relatively cheap insurance... Could I go longer? Yes definitely.. but since I can sell the used tires for $30 - $50 dollars each, and buy new ones from DT with no interest for 6 months, plus free balancing on request, I see no reason to push the odds.

My LT tires on my dually don't set for extended periods of time with any where the percentage of load capacity on them... Perhaps if they did I'd adopt the same curriculum for them..

On average my truck tires are replaced at 3 to 4 years as it is also my daily driver and the tread wears out before they age out. But again they aren't sitting with 14K on them 24/7
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160423_150504-1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	18480