View Single Post
Old 09-09-2018, 09:16 AM   #149
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Like I said, I read all that some time before this discussion started.. However, it also stands to reason that the ST tire would be tested at lower speeds as the standard MPH rating is lower than the LT tire.. that in itself supports the testing parameters. But it does not imply that within the standard fitment and documented MPH restrictions that the ST tire is somehow weaker or less desirable.

From your posts I believe that your trailer was originally fitted with LT tires and by using them you are doing correctly... Where we differ is that you are implying that because you have them that everyone else should too...

The industry rule/law or policy is to never mount tires with less capacity or size than O.E.M. fitment.. By implying that it is okay to mount tires with a documented load capacity of 500 pounds per tire less, is in my opinion irresponsible..

I am not recommending that you switch to ST tires for your trailers, in fact I support your use of the LT tire of your choice as long as its load capacity is equal to or greater than the O.E.M. fitment..

Give me an LT tire in a 235/85/16 that provides 3500 lbs. or more of documented load capacity at my wheel limit of 80 pounds and I'm all over it.. or for that matter find me a 16" x6 rime with a 6 on 5.5" pattern and I'm all over that too... I just don't want to spend several thousands of dollars to replace axles and equipment to do it.. I'd rather just wait and buy a trailer equipped with 7K axles...
Javi, did you just blow past this statement.

The LT tire is tested at this pressure, time and load profile at 75 mph. This is a 50% increase over the ST and will induce significant additional load and heating on the tire during testing. After that, the LT test is not complete. Next a “Low Inflation Pressure Performance” test is performed for the LT tire only. The tire pressure is decreased to 46 psi and the tire is immediately run for an additional 2 hours at 75 mph and 100% of rated load.

Thus, the LT tire endurance test is drastically more intense than the ST endurance test.

So you feel that with an ST tire rated at 3,500# you need to replace every two years to avoid failure.
Do you replace the LT tires on your F350 every two years?

Then there is your 5er 2015 Cougar 333MKS

Dry 10,330#
Payload 1,760#
GVWR 12,090#

So LT tires in a 235/85-16E with 3,042# capacity would cover the entire GVWR, even though likely supporting less than 10,000#, more like 9,300# based on your stated pin of 2,800# (that is what I remember).
I know most likely your capacity sticker states tire size of ST 235/80-16E so can't legally go to an LT.

Our 2005 Copper Canyon came with LT 235/85-16Es even though my GVWR is 12,360. Being a 2005 I don't have the yellow sticker, just the VIN weight statement inside a cabinet door near the sink, where it holds up a lot better!
I do have an email from Keystone with the build information that states LT 235/85-16s were installed at the factory.

Just saying.
Russ
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks