View Single Post
Old 09-08-2018, 07:57 AM   #112
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Okay... back to tires...

Somewhere back in this or another thread I seem to remember that tires lose an average of 10% of their load capacity per year of use..

Assuming that this is correct and it is true for both LT tires and ST tires regardless of bias ply or radial ply construction.. if this is so...

Then one considers that the passenger LT tires are required to have a safety margin built into their rating... What would that margin be??? 10%, 20% ????

But the ST tire is not limited to a safety margin and can claim the maximum allowance from the get go... so "0" safety margin... ????

Am I following this correctly??
I have only heard that 10% loss in relation to ST trailer tires. Ran Michelin OEM tire on wives Buick Rainier for 10 years or so, lot of tread left and should have not been able to hold up the SUV with zero capacity left. The RIBs on out 29' Cardinal would have only had 35 percent capacity left on 3 and 25% of the forth when I removed them and sold them for 200 bucks on CL with around 60% percent tread left after around 44K miles on them.

10 years seems to be the long service recommendation for passenger and LT truck tires. Again ST have been in a category of their own for years.

Here is a write up on testing standards.

http://forums.goodsamclub.com/index....g/1/page/1.cfm

BTW CWtheMAN is FastEagle in this tread, which is one of the many userid's he uses across the interweb. "Chris" was my original userid on RV.net.