View Single Post
Old 09-08-2018, 07:48 AM   #111
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Okay... back to tires...

Somewhere back in this or another thread I seem to remember that tires lose an average of 10% of their load capacity per year of use..

Assuming that this is correct and it is true for both LT tires and ST tires regardless of bias ply or radial ply construction.. if this is so...

Then one considers that the passenger LT tires are required to have a safety margin built into their rating... What would that margin be??? 10%, 20% ????

But the ST tire is not limited to a safety margin and can claim the maximum allowance from the get go... so "0" safety margin... ????

Am I following this correctly??
I believe that is for ST tires, not for LT or passenger tires. If that were true LT couldn't be rated for a life of ten years. That and the 12 year old LT's I took off my 5er last year were still doing very well.
If the 10% rule were in effect for the LT's and it is assumed it is 10% of the current capaciy, after 12 year the tires would only have 773# of capacity left from 3,042. If it is 10% of the original capacity then by the tenth year the capacity would be zero.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks