View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 07:00 PM   #30
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
As standard on my 16.5k 5er were Marathon Es, talk about an accident waiting to happen. I opted for the Gs, wore them out & upgraded to 17.5" Sailun 637 Hs, no more tire worries.
If I were to trade again they would install at least 1 (maybe 2) load rating more than comes on it before I'll make the deal.OEM tires on any rv are marginal at best.
The dealer can't do that and this is the reason why: FMVSS 571.120 paragraph S10.3, The tires on each RV trailer at first retail sale must be the same size as the tire size on the labeling.

It's a "snow ball". The dealer does not have the authority to change OE tires without the trailer manufacturer's permission. The trailer manufacturer cannot allow the tires to be changed because it would change the specs on all other like sized trailers before and after. Also, think tire serial numbers.

Catch 22; The size designation on a tire does not include it's load range. Therefore, IMO, a ST225/75R15E can be installed in place of a LRD without having to change the labeling (They both can be properly serviced using the same tire inflation chart). Again, however, how would the dealer handle the serial number problem? They - tire serial numbers - must be kept on file for 5 years.

A point to remember, up until first sale the trailer manufacturer is subject to all enforceable building regulations and standards governed by the DOT. They can be fined, stiffly. You, as an owner, are not (may not be) subject to those fines and penalties.

Updated 22 Jan 2018;

Realizing some may not be familiar with vehicle manufacturer responsibilities for registering the tires sold on their vehicles, I’m providing this excerpt from the regulation.

“Motor vehicle manufacturers are required to maintain records of the TINs for the tires installed on their vehicles and the name and address of the first purchasers of their vehicles for 5 years from the date that the vehicles are sold. These requirements are intended to ensure that purchasers receive proper notification in the event that a tire is recalled to remedy a noncompliance or safety-related defect.”
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote