View Single Post
Old 11-23-2017, 11:29 AM   #48
DMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
DMK,

As I said at least two times in my post, I was speculating on what "MAY" have been a problem. If you've covered those things, then I don't have any other ideas for you to try toward a solution. I can't tell you why you're having such bad performance with Carlisle tires, but I'd suspect that you'll have the same performance with any brand of tire in a similar size/load range. You may be onto a solution by upgrading to a commercial tire. One alternative to 17.5" wheels is Sailun 14 ply 16" tires on wheels that are capable of supporting their 110 PSI inflation rating? Several members have reported excellent results with the Sailun. Otherwise, all I can do is wish you luck in finding out why you keep having tire problems.
JRTJH, As you have read, I have been after the root cause and the answer! The reason for my post is to let others know who may not put on the number of miles that I do, that I have experienced problems with these tires, not by being overloaded, not by being over or under-inflated, or by speed of travel. I purchased the LRF tires in April to increase my safety margin over the LRE tires that I purchased only 10 months before that (only 60 days later a blow out and $1500 damage to my TH, before my TPMS purchase). By September and around 5,000 miles all the LRF tires were all replaced! To me that is pretty significant and needs to be mentioned to all those that think these tires are so great. So far the replacements have held up, but for how long?? The main reason I'm considering 17.5 or 19.5 wheel/tire combinations is the fact that statistically the 16's are prone to failure. One thing to be mentioned here is the size of the tires 225/70 R17.5 or 225/70 R19.5 are still the same total circumference as the 235/70 R16. There are many other pros for this switch but I won't go into them here. If you would like to learn more on this here is one source for 19.5. http://www.boarwheel.com/why-19-5/

Happy Thanksgiving All!

2013 Raptor 300 MP, MORryde 8K IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 940 watt solar system, 630 ah battery bank, Magnum 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger, ME-ARC, ME-AGS, ME-BMK.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, 14L 60 Series Detroit, 10 spd Ultrashift, w/3.73, Trailer Saver TSLB 3 bag hitch.
DMK is offline   Reply With Quote