View Single Post
Old 06-13-2017, 05:39 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Both of those generators are "construction power units" meaning that they are "unregulated frequency and power" producers. They must run at 3600 RPM (full power) all the time to produce 60 cycle AC power. They produce significantly more noise than most any inverter generator. Of the two, it seems that Champion has better parts availability and better customer support.

Neither of these generators will make you a "campground friendly user" and if you dry camp for 4 or 5 days, attempting to run this type of generator 24/7 will pretty much cure you of wanting A/C on your next dry camping trip. A "construction generator" is OK for occasional use, and if you're alone and camped by yourself without neighbors, if you can stand the noise, endure, but if you're camped in a campground, you won't be a "good neighbor" with either of those generators.

Of the two, I suppose I'm biased. I own the Champion and used it for occasional RV power. It did well but used a lot of gas, was loud and I'd NEVER use it in an improved campground !!! We "upgraded" to inverter generators a couple years ago and have been very satisfied with the cost of the upgrade. I'd urge you to consider just spending the extra money the first time rather than having two generator systems, one that you use and one that sits in the garage "waiting" for a power failure.

ADDED: Additionally, the Champion has a 3 year warranty, the WEN has a 2 year warranty. Also, the Champion has a 30 amp RV plug. The WEN apparently does not have an RV plug but a "switchable" 120/240 25 amp 4 prong plug. You'll need to adapt it to your RV cord and will only be able to achieve 25 amps of power to the trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote