View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017, 12:50 PM   #7
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Installing hard start capacitor on AC

The hard start capacitor is just a capacitor-- it stores electricity for short burst needs (very short). The a/c still draws what it always has, but the cap has a little "boost" for assistance.

The micro-air is something that changes/clips the voltage curve during startup, which means the draw is reduced. These devices are commonly found on home units as well. (I have one on my geothermal unit at home, however it is a different brand.)

Once the ac is running, neither the hard start capacitor nor the micro-air device changes the amp draw. This is important to realize this if you are deciding between a second generator or a micro-air. The micro-air is within $150 of a 2000 Champion generator. If you choose the micro-air path, you can only run 2000 watts (1600) of things, however if you choose a second generator, you can run 4000 watts (3200) of things. I can start (and run) two ac units (or one ac and a lot of other things) with two 2000 watt generators with hard start capacitors (no micro-air). With a micro-air and one generator I would only be able to run one ac and not much else.

Another way to look at it is: the money you spend on a micro-air ONLY GOES TOWARDS ONE AIR CONDITIONER, whereas the money you spend on a second generator GOES TOWARDS ANYTHING YOU WANT TO RUN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote