View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 07:21 AM   #72
flybouy
Site Team

[QUOTE=CWtheMan;228577]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post

I think it's beneficial maybe even necessary depending on what the tires are used for. I was an aircraft mechanic for 41 years. All of our aircraft tires and support equipment tires were serviced with 100% oil pumped nitrogen.

My family, father and two brothers, built and raced cars. Their tires were serviced with 100% nitrogen as are all NASCAR racing cars.

Is 100% nitrogen beneficial for all tires? IMO it depends on availability. Without availability it's a waste of time and money.
As a private pilot, I have had some knowledge though admittedly not an expert on aviation. Nitrogen is used in high altitude aircraft tires because it does not absorb nor condense water. When a high altitude flight descends from 30K + feet the tires will go from -40+ degrees f to whatever the ground temps are. This would result in a pressure differential and resulting condensation of any moisture. Race car teams use it as their tires are running at much higher temps do to the friction created to increase the traction. Track crews inflate tires to very precise pressures adjusting them in to 1/10 PSI for conditions (track surface heating, ambient temps, humidity and changes in barometric conditions. No one outside of these parameters operate their vehicles under these conditions. IMHO if spending the money for nitrogen filled and maintained tires makes you feel better than go for it. I personally do not see the benefit FWIW.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote