View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 07:24 PM   #61
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I guess I don't see the whole picture either. I think various items have been posted here and other places more or less debunking the supposed benefits of nitrogen in a tire. There may be some tiny benefit but none that outweigh the inconvenience of having it in the first place.

My last 4 vehicles came with nitrogen filled tires. The first time I aired down the 80psi to 65 on my truck and then aired back up to 80 with my compressor I defeated any benefit of the nitrogen. What is my alternative? Make an appt. at the dealer and wait to run in and have them filled? I think not. And, what do I have 4 compressors for if I don't air up the tires on all my vehicles? Nah, regular air hasn't given me a problem in over 50 years as well so I think I'll have to stick with it.
^^^Yep.^^^

78% N2 is good enough.

Jets may use N2 in their tires, but little airplanes that don't experience the high altitude environment use air with 78% N2. Cars and trailers are in the same environment as the little airplanes and aren't race cars. You may opt to start out with nitrogen, but eventually it will be diluted as described above.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote