View Single Post
Old 10-31-2016, 05:44 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Re: Power King tires that worked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I think I can see the reason so many (China bombs) fail on so many trailers. Your trailer scaled at 5500 lbs. Mine is 9600 - 9800 lbs depending on trip. Mine came with the same size and rated tires as your trailer leaving me with almost zero weight margin (load vs tire capacity). Yours have performed well, mine blew the first trip of the 3rd summer. And yes, I drive less than 65, filled daily to correct psi etc. Probably needs to be something we all need to consider when buying a new trailer instead of just assuming the manufacturer has given us a safety margin.
Sourdough, I've been thinking, (I know a dangerous thing for me to do) but...

Here's something to consider: Thinking back to the descriptions on Carlisle, Maxxis and several other tire manufacturer sites, many of them say that their ST tires "degrade" about 10% per year. So 4 tires rated at 2540 each would support about 10160 pounds the first year, about 9144 the second, about 8128 the third, 7112 the fourth and 6096 the fifth year. Factoring in 15% tongue weight on a travel trailer, that would be a trailer with about 7000 pounds in the fifth year without "overloading the aged tires". Quite a significant difference between buzzcop's trailer and yours or mine. We'd be overloaded the second year or the third for sure.

Robert,

Thanks, if you can remember, it will be an interesting comparison of the inside of your tires and of mine.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote