View Single Post
Old 05-06-2016, 07:04 AM   #58
slow

IMO, there is too much risk of trying to "guide" the cable away from the aluminum frame with hardware unless it is securely anchored to the frame somehow. The risk being jamming up the cable, rollers or even the slide creating more damage than the aluminum frame wear from the cables.

Keep in mind that the aluminum will only be worn by the cables to a certain point based on the guide roller position. I also suspect that the stainless steel cable rubbing on soft aluminum is not fraying the cable when the slide is being deployed or retracted. Rather the cable is fraying because it was kinked of rubbing on steel within the frame (off a guide roller?), or the cable end is being bent due to misalignment or catching on the aluminum frame. Another possible cause of cable fray may be a loose cable being pinched when the slide is closed and the slide is bouncing around while in transit.

That is why I took the approach of carefully "cleaning up" the hole in the aluminum frame and creating a lead in chamfer for the cable end now that my cable has no more aluminum frame to wear.

Having said all the above, I am still learning and trying to understand the potential failure modes and solutions. These thoughts are just those that I currently have.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote